Social dynamics, conflicts, and bullying influence every child’s ability to learn. A safe school climate depends on teaching students the skills to manage their emotions and critically think through solutions to social conflicts. How, then, do you prepare youth to be engaged learners and responsible, socially conscious citizens?
Created in collaboration with children and teens, Owning Up helps young people identify and be critical of social issues in their lives–from bullying and harassment in the classroom to systems of power and oppression in the world around them, Owning Up curriculum guides young people to understand:
- themselves in relation to group behavior
- the influence of social media on their conflicts
- the dynamics that lead to discrimination and bigotry
Whether you teach in a school, a team, or a youth-serving organization, Owning Up is a flexible, innovative curriculum that respects your knowledge of the young people and communities you serve by giving you the following:
- Designed sessions to be facilitated by a school counselor, teacher, leader, or other professionals in small group settings
- Discussions, games, and role-playing to engage adolescents in the complexities of social culture
- Connects critical topics such as media analysis, gender, sexual harassment, racism, gossip, and self-image
The Professional Development
While Owning Up is a curriculum that you can buy and implement independently, it is also so much more. Our trainings support professional development and we have on-going support for educators through a community network.
The Owning Up Training is a development program for educators who work with middle and high school students to implement the Owning Up Curriculum in their school or organization. While an individual can buy Owning Up and use it without receiving any training, the Training gives educators the best foundation to implement the curriculum. Onward!